PDA

查看完整版本 : Winter Olympics - Aerial Supremacy

skier
2010-01-24, 23:51
China's aerial team has been trained for 7 years by 2 Canadians, Peter Judge and Dustin Wilsin.

Excerpt from SCMP 2010-01-25:

"After a solid training programme led them to recent victories, China are raring to unseat the traditional winter powers.

China, who won 11 medals in Turin, Italy, four years ago, easily could surpass that total next month in Vancouver. A significant number could come in aerials – think of it as gymnastics on skis – thanks to a revamped training programme Wilson calls one of the best on the planet.

"They've got an endless supply of money and endless supply of bodies, and that's a pretty good thing to have in any sport," said the United States' aerials coach Matt Christensen.

A handful of athletes on the national team, including Xu, are products of the developmental programme. She was "retired" from the gymnastics programme at 11 before making the natural move to aerials.

"In China, there are 100,000 gymnasts like her," Wilson said. "She was top 50, but wasn't good enough. Now she's with us, and her talent is unbelievable. Her work ethic is unbelievable."

Xu became the first woman to land a "lay double-full full" – three flips and three spins – in competition, completing the trick at a World Cup in China last month. Yet she's just one potential gold medallist on the Chinese roster.

Wilson does not even consider her the favourite, giving that honour to Li Nina. "We're much stronger than we were four years ago," he said. "We've got three girls that can win it. If we have the best day, it's going to be close."

And it could just be the start of China's dominance. It will be difficult for other countries to keep pace if the Chinese aerial programme really takes off."

Mike
2010-01-25, 07:29
It appears that the Chinese ladies are doing well in the Snowboard halfpipe as well.

Xuetong Cai won the fourth halfpipe contest of the 2010 LG Snowboard FIS World Cup couple of days ago meant a total podium sweep for Chinese ladies

Xuetong Cai, the leader of the ladies Halfpipe World Cup ranking who earned 46.6 points edged off her team mates Zhifeng Sun (42.7) and Xu Chen (40.5) to the second and third place respectively.

carver_hk-ski
2010-01-25, 14:22
there r no surprise. not only in freestyle, I guess will be in general some times in the future. check out this Chinese guy in Beijing, a amateur in his second season. how would he looks like in 5 more season? :)

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/iPADmPSVbRo

skier
2010-01-25, 15:07
there r no surprise. not only in freestyle, I guess will be in general some times in the future. check out this Chinese guy in Beijing, a amateur in his second season. how would he looks like in 5 more season? :)

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/iPADmPSVbRo

It is a gentle terrain and with no gates -- difficult to see how good he is.

It is difficult to train for alpine speed disciplines (SL, GS, Super G and Downhill) without the commitment of our Country. You also need venue to train at least 300 days a year.

China is smart to concentrate on Aerial and half pipe.

carver_hk-ski
2010-01-26, 09:23
It is a gentle terrain and with no gates -- difficult to see how good he is.It is easier to see how good he is by looking around for a better skier at his second season. :)

It is difficult to train for alpine speed disciplines (SL, GS, Super G and Downhill) without the commitment of our Country. You also need venue to train at least 300 days a year.

China is smart to concentrate on Aerial and half pipe.With money, you get the best instruction in the world, you also able to train your racer anywhere, that includes overseas. My point is, with the same people, they can make it to the top in one sport, I doubt why there exist difficulty in the other. I learn that even the recreational skier group in 萬龍 is going to get instruction from Mr. Sato, a great Japanese skier soon. Just imagine if the National Team get direct coaching from Austrian National Coach. R they able to learn the same skills that Austrian Racers is doing? :)

skier
2010-01-26, 09:47
Aerials and half pipes have movements like in Gymnastics, twisting and turns, and the Chinese athletics are always good in that, and have years of training background. And only a short 'piste' (compared to Alpine racing) is needed, and some movements can be trained even indoor without snow.

As the article says, we have 100,000 gymnasts in training. And Xu, as the article says, ranked within 50, and that was not good enough and she was 'out'. But luckily she was spotted to be good for Aerials.

Alpine racing takes many many years of training, Countries like Austria, Germany, France, Italy, Canada and U.S. train them when they are only a few years old. Out of thousands of potential candidates in each country only a handful will make to the national team. These are skiing nations, and parents fund their kids to be skiers and be trained in racing.

For China to do that, the State has to fund it, and I do not believe China is willing to fund for hundreds (if not thousands) of young children to be trained overseas on a sport that is not their forte.

It is the right thing to do to concentrate in skating, aerials and half pipes.

carver_hk-ski
2010-01-26, 09:58
For China to do that, the State has to fund it, and I do not believe China is willing to fund for hundreds (if not thousands) of young children to be trained overseas on a sport that is not their forte.So at the very end its all about money. On the other hand my guess is it need the right racing skill + an athletic body. With so many many children in China, its easy for the trained eye to select the right kids for alpine sport training. athletes from the ice skating might be good choice, for example. As for skiing country or not, its again just a matter of time before China have enough ski resorts as soon as the economy could support new openings. China is simply big and with plenty of high mountain.

Mike
2010-01-26, 10:46
So at the very end its all about money. On the other hand my guess is it need the right racing skill + an athletic body ..... As for skiing country or not, its again just a matter of time before China have enough ski resorts as soon as the economy could support new openings. China is simply big and with plenty of high mountain.

There are many factors in the equation - coaching and training (of the technique), facilities, support of the country, etc. but as you said ultimately it boils down to money. :p With any of the factors missing, it is difficult (not impossible) to train a traditional Alpine disciplines WC winner.

As for ski resorts, just look at the ambitious project at Ping Tian:

http://www.hkssa.net/showthread.php?t=27198

B2L2
2010-01-27, 23:53
On the other hand my guess is it need the right racing skill + an athletic body.

Putting money and skill aside, I agree on the "athletic body" point. For downhill racing, the preferred one needs a extremely strong build body. That's another reason why the sport is dominate by European.

Japan has lots of strong skiers technically and they started training when they are young. However, they are no where close in doing well on the downhill racing.

Yes, China has such a large population and maybe we could find that right person. However, that's go back to the money and investment part.

- Brian

eLeung
2010-01-28, 12:45
I think it is a very complicated question.:o Needless to say, it is a very large population in China but it is not implied they must have that right person due to many reasons (e.g. inheritance or DNA). For example, a black is very difficult (or closed to impossible at current stage) to win swimming WC champion. Of course, it is a very extreme example but I can understand and accept different countries have different talents of their citizens.:)

Maybe China has another choice that she may give huge money to the existing WC champions for buying their nationality. So, our Country would own many WC champions immediately...:D:D:D! (Just a joke!)

B2L2
2010-01-29, 03:02
Agree, there are so many "maybe" and that's why it isn't smart for China to focus on speed type racing. I agree with John that skating, aerials are China's best bid.

- Brian