PDA

查看完整版本 : NZ ski season

Mike
2011-06-04, 15:41
After a promising start, the unusually warm weather in New Zealand is disrupting the begining of the ski season.
It was supposed to be Coronet Peak’s launch party this weekend, but unfortunately, they have had to postpone it.

Better snowmaking temperatures are expected next week, and the resort only needs temperatures of –2 degrees C with low humidity for 72 hours to open the whole area with purely man-made snow....

Mt Hutt is due to open next weekend (11th June). However, although snow was made there last weekend, temperatures are currently too warm to continue. The area needs 4 to 5 days of low temperatures to cover most of the pistes. It appears there is little snow on other ski resorts in New Zealand too. :icon_cry:

NZ_Ming
2011-06-05, 17:59
hi

This is Ming, I stay in Queenstown now,
I'm waiting a housekeeping job and want to ski in the Coronet Peak.
The warm weather made New Zealand Coronet Peak's ski area need to postpone the open day.
So sad.......

Will you come to ski?

Ming

Mike
2011-06-05, 19:14
hi

The warm weather made New Zealand Coronet Peak's ski area need to postpone the open day.
So sad.......

Will you come to ski?

Ming

Welcome to this forum.
It is only early June, I'm sure the cold weather and snow will come in abundant soon.
Do please keep us updated with any news or anything interesting.
Are you a skier or boarder?

NZ_Ming
2011-06-06, 12:30
Yes~Sure~

I'm just have a experience skiing in Japan one time.
But I want to learn Ski and Snowboard in New Zealand. ^^

Ming

Welcome to this forum.
It is only early June, I'm sure the cold weather and snow will come in abundant soon.
Do please keep us updated with any news or anything interesting.
Are you a skier or boarder?

jskier
2011-06-07, 21:10
So sad.......

Will you come to ski?

Ming[/quote]
Yes, we will go to Queenstown on 4 Aug...hope there's enough snow by then :wave:

Please keep updating snow condition in NZ:icon_adore:

Mike
2011-06-13, 11:59
Two after shocks of magnitude 5.2 and 6.0 just hit Christchurch this morning (HK time). :msn_unhappy: :fear1:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13745359

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/christ-earth-just-moved-again-big-quake-jolts-christchurch-nk-95223

Freestylerwill
2011-06-13, 23:19
Not much snow up north @ Mt Ruapehu either..... 2 weeks away from opening day and still looks pretty bare...

People need to sacrifice old skis / virgins to the snow gods so they will bless us with those white golds

Mike
2011-06-16, 20:37
New Zealand ski slopes today remain short of natural snow cover due to unseasonable warm weather.

The Remarkables is the latest resort to postpone its season debut, originally scheduled for this Saturday. Coronet Peak made the same decision earlier this month regarding their scheduled June 4 opening, which now remains on hold indefinitely.
Mt. Hutt near Christchurch, made the same decision last week, as did Snow Park near Wanaka. :icon_giveup:

Freestylerwill
2011-06-17, 14:58
There is a front coming this weekend. Finger crossed for the snow

NZ_Ming
2011-06-23, 20:27
Does anyone know when Australia has much more snow, then New Zealand just has it later or slower?
Is it the weather problem?
Thx

P.S. New Zealand - Queenstown Winter Festival start on tmr, but Coronet Peak and Remarkables still have not enough snow to support the Ski area Event:msn_cry:

Hakuba
2011-06-23, 22:17
Australia is having a good early start to their season and unfortunately New Zealand are having a slow start. I am sure it must be frustrating

jskier
2011-06-24, 13:14
There is only 1 cm snow in Coronet Peak and 2cm snow in Remarkables....OMG:msn_badrose::wall::sweatdrop:

Mike
2011-06-27, 20:32
After an extraordinarily warm May and June, Mt. Hutt will open on a limited basis on Monday, the first resort in New Zealand to do so this year. The mountain’s other trails do not yet have sufficient snow coverage to open, but snowmaking will be continuing to try and open more of the area as soon as possible. Monday marks the latest opening for the ski area in at least a decade.

A day after Mt. Hutt opened on Monday, New Zealand’s 2nd ski resort to start its delayed season will open on Tuesday. The upper slopes of Turoa ski area on Mount Ruapehu presently have a 46cm base of snow, largely due to a 32cm snowfall last weekend. There is snow in the forecast at the end of the week and cold temperatures are predicted for good snowmaking weather. Whakapapa, is scheduled to open on 2nd July.

NZ_Ming
2011-06-28, 11:45
Yes~
Mt Hutt is open on 27 June.
But Coronet Peak and Remarkable still on hold....
Still don't know when can we ski and snowboard.....

Hakuba
2011-06-28, 12:43
Looks like there might be some coming next week. Fingers crossed for you Ming.

NZ_Ming
2011-06-29, 11:06
YEAH~
Coronet Peak Ski area will open on 30 June.

Mike
2011-06-30, 20:42
YEAH~
Coronet Peak Ski area will open on 30 June.

I believe Snow Park is also open on Thursday.

NZ_Ming
2011-07-03, 06:31
Snow park opened and my fd go to snowboard in there......
Hopefully I can get the job soon and start to learn snowboard.
And I saw the weather website said it will has snow on next week.

Cheers

NZ_Ming
2011-07-03, 14:33
Yeah~
I had my first time snowboarding in Snow Park today.
But I don't really know how to move,
(沒有帶頭盔, 不過頭落地有點痛)

Hakuba
2011-07-04, 11:06
Get a lesson Ming.
Snow should be on it's way.

NZ_Ming
2011-07-05, 13:28
But Many Friends tell me, no need to get a session.
and said U can learn by yourself.....

Hakuba
2011-07-05, 14:16
But Many Friends tell me, no need to get a session.
and said U can learn by yourself.....
Seriously do not listen to them and get a couple of half day lessons. You will progress so much faster. I cannot stress this enough.
There is a huge cold system coming your way which should see the season finally kicking off.

NZ_Ming
2011-07-05, 19:09
Saw~
Thank you so much

Really? has a huge cold system coming? Good~
Snowboard is very attractive to me,
I spend too much money to stay in Queenstown, But I still cannot find the job in here.....
I think I will leave it first.... go to another place to earn money and back to learn snowboard

Will U come to Queenstown?
If U come here, when will U come?

Mike
2011-07-05, 20:37
Snowboard is very attractive to me,
I spend too much money to stay in Queenstown, But I still cannot find the job in here.....
I think I will leave it first.... go to another place to earn money and back to learn snowboard

Queenstown has many many tourists, hence the high cost.

Where do you live?
In my opinion, if you are learning, where you go to learn makes no difference, you can go to Mt. Hutt if you are near Christchurch, Treble Cone near Wanaka, Rupheau if you are in North Island.

Hakuba
2011-07-05, 20:46
If you can stay for another couple of weeks I am sure you will find something as the season has been so slow to start. There has probably been a number people like yourself who have decided to leave and when things are at full pace then their should be plenty of jobs available. Good luck with the job hunting.

NZ_Ming
2011-07-06, 20:04
I still stay in Queenstown.
But if I learn snowboard, Which one is better? Coronet peak, Remarkable, Cardrona, Treble Cone?

Thank you
I got the interview in Crowne Plaza today,
but I don't know successful or not....

Mike
2011-07-06, 21:02
I still stay in Queenstown.
But if I learn snowboard, Which one is better? Coronet peak, Remarkable, Cardrona, Treble Cone?

In my opinion, Cardrona is good for learning.

NZ_Ming
2011-07-07, 09:15
Thank you so much
Hope I can learn snowboard in Cardrona
But will be raining on this week, so Cardrona and Treble cone still close.

Crowne Plaza was also reply me unsuccessful.
and I will go to exchange in Arrowtown on this Saturday.

bbyu
2011-07-09, 20:04
Hi Guys,
At first I plan to go North as I try to see what's special in NZ.
But with you now I can change my plan, as 80% people said Queenstown is much better than the north one.
I will go on 12th August, will you still be there?

Just PM you.

Mike
2011-07-09, 20:20
Hi Guys,
But with you now I can change my plan, as 80% people said Queenstown is much better than the north one.

Rupheau has the biggest mountain in NZ, but Whakapapa & Turoa are not linked. Unfortunately, the mountains are prone to high wind and the ski lifts can't be operated.

Snow in South Island is more reliable but the resorts are small.

jskier
2011-07-09, 21:06
We will be in Queenstown from Aug 4 to Aug 11. Just miss out...

Mike
2011-07-09, 21:18
We will be in Queenstown from Aug 4 to Aug 11. Just miss out...

Still a bit thin on snow. Keep your fingers crossed. :pray:

Mike
2011-07-09, 21:20
Hi Guys,

Snow in Australia is good this year, suggest you consider Thredbo or Perisher Blue (about 6 hours drive from Sydney) instead.

bbyu
2011-07-09, 21:40
If you live in AUS you may not think that way.
The same $$ goes to NZ you gain more provide that you have enough time there. Should be positive if we can wait till mid August.

Mike
2011-07-11, 20:27
It’s a little late but snow has finally arrived on South Island. However, it’s been too much, too fast.

Heavy snowfall and high winds have closed ski resorts last weekend around Queenstown and Lake Wanaka. The snowfall comes as a huge relief after lack of snow and unusual warm weather.

At Treble Cone, however, 65cm of snow fell directly upon wet tussocks has put the avalanche danger through the roof. In fact, the Treble Cone’s ski patrol said that they’ve never before encountered such instability in their years at the resort. That’s forcing Treble Cone to proceed with a progressive opening schedule. On Monday, the ski area will open their Platter lift and Learners area only, although mountain food and beverage, rental and ski school will all be available. No access of any kind will be permitted above the resort’s base area.

The storm also closed Cardrona and Snow Farm in Wanaka, along with the Remarkables in Queenstown, although Coronet Peak was open on Sunday with 20cm of new snowfall. Snow Park has delayed it's Monday opening of its Box Run and Learners Run until 10 a.m.

Hakuba
2011-07-11, 23:27
Ha. I find it hard to believe that they cannot open for that much snow. It is a common occurance in Japan. On the other hand they don't make and farm as much so they are not as good as NZ when it is only a small amount.

Mike
2011-07-12, 06:26
Ha. I find it hard to believe that they cannot open for that much snow. It is a common occurance in Japan. On the other hand they don't make and farm as much so they are not as good as NZ when it is only a small amount.

Avalanche occurs everywhere incl Japan, USA, Europe, etc, in-bound & out of bound.
Major causes of avalanches are weather, snowfall, temperature, wind direction, snow pack conditions, slope angle, slope orientation, terrain, and vegetation.

Weather: Avalanches are more likely to occur after a heavy snowstorm. The 24 hours following a storm are the most critical.

Snowfall: Recent snowfall puts extra stress on the existing snow pack, especially if the new snow does not adequately bond with the layer of snow already there. Snowfall amounts of one foot or more create the most hazardous situation, producing avalanches that are large enough to block highways and cause major destruction.

Temperature: Because snow is a good insulator, small changes don't have as much effect as larger or longer changes do. Changes that last several hours or days, such as a warm front moving through can seriously weaken some of the upper layers of snow.

Wind Direction: Wind usually blows up one side of the slope of the mountain(the windward side), and down the other(the leeward side). When blowing up the windward side, wind will scour snow off the surface and drop it on the leeward side. This packs snow unevenly on the leeward side, making it more prone to avalanches. Cornices are caused by wind scouring.

Snow Pack Conditions: Perhaps the most significant factor is how the snow pack has developed over the season. Understanding the history of snow pack for that season can reveal several clues about slope stability. Snow pack conditions can change not only over the course of the winter season but over the course of a day.

Slope Angle: Most avalanches occur on slopes between 30 and 45 degrees. You can measure the slope angle with an inclinometer.

Slope Orientation: Although avalanches will run on slopes facing any direction, most avalanches run on slopes facing north, east, and northeast. Because the sun is at such a low angle, particularly during the winter, a colder and deeper snow pack develops.

Terrain: Bowls and gullies are suspect at any time, regardless of other conditions. Snow can accumulate deeply and quickly in these areas, increasing the possibility of an avalanche. Even if you can see that an avalanche has already run, be wary. Avalanches can fall in a "piecemeal" fashion, where one avalanche will run and leave the rest of the slope weakened, and the slightest provocation can cause subsequent avalanches on that same slope. Smaller depressions or shallow gullies in the mountainside can also be hazardous. During an avalanche, these "terrain traps" serve as accumulation points for snow and debris where a victim could be buried.

Vegetation: On a snow covered slope, heavily forested areas are much safer than open spaces. Lone trees, bushes, or large rocks on a mountainside can sometimes weaken the stability of the snow pack. A fracture line may run from a lone tree to a rock to another tree. Tree line and smooth surfaces such as a rock face or grassy slope can effect the probability of an avalanche.

Hakuba
2011-07-12, 09:55
We certainly get our fair share of avalanches here in Japan and people die every year from being caught in them. My point was that they are a ski resort and really should be prepared to open when it snows. I called the storm a week ago so it was hardly a surprise. When 65cms or more falls overnight in Japan the lifts will still be running. Saying that, I understand they need to be cautious and I am observing from afar. Good to see the snow has finally come.

Mike
2011-07-12, 10:27
We certainly get our fair share of avalanches here in Japan and people die every year from being caught in them. My point was that they are a ski resort and really should be prepared to open when it snows. I called the storm a week ago so it was hardly a surprise. When 65cms or more falls overnight in Japan the lifts will still be running. Saying that, I understand they need to be cautious and I am observing from afar. Good to see the snow has finally come.

It depends on the snow base. This time in NZ, they don't have a good base, so there is a high avalanche risk.
Last winter when I was at Squaw Valley, there was one weekend when Squaw had 63 inches (ie. 160 cm) of snow in 72 hours, the resort had no problem because they had a good snow base but the staff controlling avalanche had a very busy time.

Mike
2011-07-13, 20:30
Snowy conditions over the past week at Mt. Ruapehu (North Island) have caused the snow base at Whakapapa to soar past July 2010 levels.
At Knoll Ridge at Whakapapa, snow levels are now deeper than they were during the entire month of July last year and the base at both Turoa and Whakapapa has passed the one-metre mark and is expected to climb with the snow storm forecast continue until Thursday. :clap1:

Mike
2011-07-27, 20:41
Yesterday, high avalanche hazard trapped about 250 skiers at Mt. Lyford ski field in Waiau overnight.
They spent the night in Mt. Lyford’s day lodge until daybreak Wednesday, when crews began blasting what’s known as Avalanche Face above the access road to eliminate the risk and allow those trapped to leave. Strong northwesterly winds were blowing and drifting 40cm of light, dry snow that fell at the Canterbury resort on Monday. Ski area officials blocked egress from the ski area’s parking lot around 3 p.m. on Tuesday after several hours of sending them down the hill only in groups of 10.
Weather conditions were keeping the ski area closed on Wednesday as well. Snowcats were hauling in extra food for those stranded by the storm.
Officials expect that avalanche control work and subsequent plowing of the road will allow those trapped to leave sometime on Wednesday.

jskier
2011-07-28, 01:36
cest la vie... too much...too little :doh:

Freestylerwill
2011-07-30, 15:50
Was at Turoa today. Good snow base. Snowing and bad visibility.

But next week will be beautiful sunny days all week :D

jskier
2011-07-30, 17:12
But next week will be beautiful sunny days all week :D[/quote]

wow...wow...wow...Cardrona...Treble Cones...I'm coming:clap1::clap1::clap1:

Mike
2011-07-30, 17:21
wow...wow...wow...Cardrona...Treble Cones...I'm coming:clap1::clap1::clap1:

Cardrona weather forecast for you:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cardrona/6day/mid

jskier
2011-08-02, 23:54
Cardrona weather forecast for you:
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cardrona/6day/mid

Thanks Mike...all my bags are packed and I am ready to go...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mike
2011-08-11, 20:46
2 skiers died in separate incidents on New Zealand’s ski slopes last Friday.
Abraham Klaarenbeek, 38, died Friday night in Waikato Hospital after an accident earlier in the day at Whakapapa. Klaarenbeek, he came over a rise on the Whakapapa’s Knoll Ridge and collided with a T-bar tower.
Earlier on Friday a 29-year-old Australian snowboarder climbing in the Canterbury backcountry slipped down into a ravine and was killed. He was with two friends when he removed his snowboard to climb the side of Tarn Basin, behind the Mt. Cheeseman Ski Area near Christchurch, before slipping down an icy 45-degree slope and falling into a rock-filled streambed, sustaining severe head injuries. He was airlifted to Christchurch Hospital where he died on Sunday.

Mike
2011-08-15, 16:44
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/5441668/South-braced-for-super-cold-blast

Possibly good for skiers once the wind dies down, but not for others. Could be a disaster for the local farming community and those still affected by the deadly earthquake earlier.

Mike
2011-08-16, 20:49
The second major storm in as many months has been pounding South Island for several days, closing roads, schools, airports and even ski resorts, with up to 50cm of new snowfall.

Lake Wanaka Tourism are calling this storm the worst to hit New Zealand in 50 years, adding that it was still snowing in town as of Tuesday morning and area roads were icy and snow-covered. Queenstown which rarely sees snow on its streets, have eight inches of snow on them.

North Island has not been spared the storm’s effects. Wellington is experiencing its biggest snowfall in 40 years.