PDA

查看完整版本 : Roaming cost in Europe

Mike
2011-07-05, 10:25
According to BBC News last weekend, the cost of making and receiving mobile phone calls while travelling in Europe has come down again.

As from 1st July, operators cannot charge more than 32p per minute (plus VAT) for outgoing calls, and 10p per minute (plus VAT) for incoming calls.

The new tariffs are the latest in a series of annual price reductions forced on the mobile industry by the European Commission.

Along with the lower rates for phone calls, the commission also reduced the wholesale rate of mobile data from 80 euro cents (72p) to 50 euro cents (45p) per megabyte.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13988279

Does it mean our phone operators in HK will charge us less for roaming in Europe as well? :think:

jackwan
2011-07-06, 05:41
Just came back from Europe on 6/29. I checked with my American cell phone company before I left for Europe, the roaming rate was over $3 US/min. I did not hear anything different had I stayed after July 1... Not sure if an HK cell operator will discount much from that rate.

jackwan
2011-07-06, 05:46
Its better to get a European SIM card while traveling in Europe, we got one for 15 Euro which has 10 Euro prepaid time. Granted the cost per minute is like .3 Euro, but its lot better to pay for the Roaming charge. Maybe what they mean roaming is roaming amoung European countries.

Mike
2011-07-06, 14:05
Its better to get a European SIM card while traveling in Europe, we got one for 15 Euro which has 10 Euro prepaid time. Granted the cost per minute is like .3 Euro, but its lot better to pay for the Roaming charge. Maybe what they mean roaming is roaming amoung European countries.

For making out-going call when abroad buying a pre-paid SIM card is always the best and cheapest way. But if you want to take in-coming calls then high cost roaming charge is difficult to avoid. :bill:

b4321
2011-07-09, 11:41
When I was in Eastern Europe during Chinese New year, I made a less than 1 min call to HK. The bill showed the cost was HK$40 (?) per call.

When I look at the fee info in the mobile carrier's web-site, the area should be classified as "Other area", which mean it is not the common area, which IDD/Roaming charge is crazy.

jackwan
2011-07-10, 00:11
For making out-going call when abroad buying a pre-paid SIM card is always the best and cheapest way. But if you want to take in-coming calls then high cost roaming charge is difficult to avoid. :bill:

no, when you swap a local SIM card into the phone, you will get a local phone number, wherever the originator phone company is. The process requires you have a local address and passport. Your phone will no longer receive a call from your HK phone number (unless you have dual SIM card). So, there will be no roaming charges for incoming calls.:msn_angel:

Mike
2011-07-10, 05:59
no, when you swap a local SIM card into the phone, you will get a local phone number, wherever the originator phone company is. The process requires you have a local address and passport. Your phone will no longer receive a call from your HK phone number (unless you have dual SIM card). So, there will be no roaming charges for incoming calls.:msn_angel:

I said if you want to receive incoming call from HK, not from your local friend who knows your local SIM card number.
If you buy and use a local pre-paid SIM card, your friend/family/colleague at home will not know your local number unless you call/email/SMS to them. Otherwise they won't know, so they will still call your HK mobile no. and if you pick the call up, it is Roaming. :bill:

If you forward your HK moile no. to your local SIM card, you still have to pay them as overseas call.

HKS
2011-07-10, 12:09
Mike, is there any daily unlimited data package in UK like those in Japan? Then we can use skype on the smart phone.

Mike
2011-07-10, 13:04
Mike, is there any daily unlimited data package in UK like those in Japan? Then we can use skype on the smart phone.

I have absolute no idea. I do not use mobile data roaming in or outside HK.